Tuesday 3 June 2014

Mrs Puddifoot's gets its kitchen fire surround, and work commences on terrace of shops in Diagon Alley and more!

Well I have been busy, and mostly not doing mini work!  Time has been taken up for other things and for the cabin to get its final decorative touches. I just need to purchase the fabric for the display tables curtains and it's just about finished. A few things need tweaking (my little what-not on the wall needs a proper re-dressing), but at last I can have an idea of my display space.  


Firstly though my truly wonderful fire surround that I had made is here, I had to wait a while, but it was well worth it!!! I couldn't decide what type of stove to have...so many of the Harry Potter kitchen's have old fashioned black ranges that I really didn't think this project suited it. So it will be a choice between the very earliest AGA available in the UK in cream (which fits this surround as it's made by the same makers) or the quirky stove kit by Chrysnbon which I have loved for years. So I've bought the latter to see what it looks like and if it doesn't suit the project I have lots of other projects it will suit. ;o)
I chose the larger one as it gives me more options with the type of stove. I will most likely go with the old fashioned cream AGA. I was going to have it on the back wall where I think it would look better, but because the fireplace downstairs is on this wall, that means the chimney breast has to be on this side...I have to be authentic! lol

It's not small, but as it's gonna be a key piece in the room, I didn't mind. The other one in the same style is only slightly smaller.
I've also completed the wallpapering for this wall, and I had to join it. I prefer proper dolls house sheets or scrap booking pages where you get much bigger sheets. I glued on with YES! Paste, the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion! It's extremely low in water content thus does not damage the paper in any way and you can slide it around to ensure it's in the correct position.    
I also trimmed the interior window frames that I made so they fit better and I've repainted where I've trimmed them. I've also cut the acetate, no it isn't blue! lol That's just the protective film to stop it getting scratched! :o)  I will glue  into place using Glue 'n' Glaze and then I will apply some 'steamy windows' effects. ;o) 
I've also made interior window frames for the door. These are still very raw. They've had their first coat of homemade primer (white emulsion paint and PVA (white glue), I make mine up 50/50, quite strong. I will apply 2 or 3 coats, sanding inbetween coats to I get a smooth and even edge. Once painted they are as strong as a thin piece of plywood. 
This is my latest kit to being built, my terrace of 3 shops for Diagon alley, as you can see it has three floors. I'm in the middle of priming and that will take a while! lol  I used homemade primer for the interior, but a bought one for the outside. If you are just going to wallpaper and paint, then priming a kit isn't so important, but if you are going to use bricks with mortar, or clay then it's essential that you do. Also, the larger the front panel and kit, the more prone it is to warp and warp it will....MDF is known for it! Priming also alleviates a lot of the fluffy bits and once sanded is a lot smoother to work with.     
I have a way to go yet! I do a bit of priming and let that piece dry and then go and do something else on the tea shop! lol 
A rough idea how I might have the walls, though with the downstairs shop ones  you don't have a choice about the shop walls, the windows and doors positions dictate that.  
The shop on the left will be Scrivenshaft's Quill shop. As you can see I will be adding false doors. :o) 
Where the door will go, I was going to have it on the back wall, but it doesn't fit in with that unit there. ;o)
The Magic Neep, the magical grocers. These aren't the stairs supplied, just an example to show you the planned layout. I will dress and adorn the stairs with goods for the shop I think! lol
 Twilfit and Taffings clothes shop, again with a false door.
Twilfit and Taffings work room, I will add a false door on the back wall. I don't want a huge room for this. 
The remainder of the project? Well, it's likely to be Brews & Stews B&B. I have no idea what it's like, but it won't be too salubrious! lol  This room will be the kitchen I think.
The living room..a busy room? 
 Overall look...
I'm going to change the window and make them Georgian.
To something like this, I will use the proper sized piece of wood though! lol
Most of my time has been taken up with decoration of the cabin! The last thing to do is buy the fabric for the curtain under the table's, I think my Mum is going to get it tomorrow. This is not the final look of my Diagon Alley layout, not all the shops are down from the top shelf and I want to play with ideas. ;o)   
 The joke shop will stay in that corner though as it's big.
I may have some shops jutting out and some on turntables. I don't like the idea that you can only pose the corner shops one way (so you can access them inside), if they are on a turntable they can face one way in the alley and to open them, turn them around. ;o) 
 I will have minis scenes along the alley. There are many stalls and stands.
I plan to add stairs here...to incorporate my layout with my real life furniture! lol
My Hogwarts will go on the back chest of drawers, I plan to make my own. The Hogshead Tavern will become The Three Broomsticks...as it will be the first project to the alley (like in the films), so I will remove the beams and paperclay on that side and add aged and distressed bricks instead.   
I don't plan to have this shop jutting out here, but further up the other end near my Centenary House.  
My cabin has been decorated with items I bought ages ago! I will have the balloon dressed. :o) 
My Mum has made the curtains/blinds...all in one day. The blinds don't work, just there to soften the look.
 My Mum bought me this in our local market town. ;o))
 This area needs attention! The what-not on the wall isn't dressed how I want it or finished!    
 My Sister made all the pictures, some were in my old craft room, ;o) 
 I've had this witch since I was 21. My sister bought her in Whitby, she's an old favourite and graced many walls. 
 The wooden hearts for my blinds. I painted them in the same paint as the window  boxes.
Here they are in situ! ;o)
 My garden today...it's growing... 

All taken today...very cloudy at times as you can see! lol  

I hope you don’t mind my ramblings and madness! :o))

Michelle xxxx

16 comments:

  1. Michelle, the Cabin looks fabulous, love the Curtains and blinds. Your Garden has certainly filled out already. Bet it smells wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, we got there in the end! The garden is growing well and yes it does smell lovely, will smell more when the roses are established. :o)) xx

      Delete
  2. Michelle, what a monumental project you have on your hands :) I have no doubt you will make a wonderful job of it. I am loving your ideas for the shops and just love the wallpaper for the tea shop. If I had a cabin like yours, I'd never leave it.... it's just gorgeous. Love your blog.
    All the best,
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, oh absolutely, I do and I sincerely hope so! ;o)) I will do as much as I can on the teashop bar dressing it all, the priming of kits takes an age so better I get busy on stuff like that.

      When I've been really busy, I've had lunch etc in the cabin, it's wonderful on a sunny day with both doors open and it's my sanctuary whilst the real house gets finished.

      Michelle ;o))

      Delete
  3. Grandes avances,el callejón va a quedar impresionante con tantas tiendas!!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a lot of shops and I'm still trying to work out how to have 2 shops in one! lol Glad you like it though. ;o)))

      Delete
  4. Hello Michelle,
    You certainly got a lot of work done. Everything is looking great. The 3 shops will be fun to watch come together.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad it's tidy Giac and I can see what is where! lol I will be continuing with the priming with the 3 shops, but.I will put the fronts on the shops first...but before that, you guessed it, they have have to primed and painted first! lol

      Big hugs,
      Michelle

      Delete
  5. Michelle your studio is fabulous, I love how you have transformed it into your own space :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa! I'm glad it's done..it's taken a while..but we got there in the end! I have lots of work tables now and it's a lot easier. I have my main work tables and move to do certain stuff and then move to the others when I'm actually working on a project. :o))

      Hugs,
      Michelle

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Karin! I'm extremely happy with it. :o))

      Delete
  7. Looking amazing, can't believe how quickly the plants are growing.must be all the rain :-)

    The fireplace turned out perfect...love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is a bonus for a new garden, but I think the manure and compost have a lot to answer for Jayne. lol :oP

      The fireplace is perfect and really heavy, I was surprised. It will need to be stuck with clear silica (caulking) to keep it safe and in place. xxxxx

      Delete
  8. Ok, wow it is looking amazing. Im sure anyone who walks into your cabin with be awestruck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Jenn, lots of people have been in it and all non miniaturists! They all ask if I sell them...and whoever is in there with them, the answer is always no, I get embarrassed ! lol I think the cabin is too girly for most men! lol :o))

      Delete