Tuesday 2 September 2014

Mr Mulpepper's Apothecary - Update

Well I'm here with an update on Mr Mupepper's, the other apothecary in Diagon Alley.  I won't be doing it the same as Slug and Jiggers, that was from my own imagination and nothing like the real one, however, Mr Mulpepper's will be as much like the real one as I can do it and with what I have to work with! ;o) 
So, this is the old Honeychurch shop that I had and stripped back. Firstly, sticking with what you first thought was right...is nearly always the right choice! lol The fascia blue is the wrong blue for the shop and the one I bought purposely, was...worse still I had actually started to paint the top window frames too! The nightmare began with the window frames and the sanding down (again lol) and erm trying to glue them back together! 
Enough of that for now! I glued on the shops' sign etc which I also wanted to change, so it had a little roof over the top of it...the challenge began! I also started to put together the two bottom bay windows and made adaptions to them too. 
I wanted something more fancy for the window frames, but the narrow trim I had (and could only use) was quite thin and I needed more depth so they stood out from the plaster work.  So I used the basic trim that came with the shop and fitted my fancy trim over the top.  
 The basic trim glued on!
 Now the fancy trim over the top with an enhanced window sill too! ;o)
Now it came to that tricky little roof addition...not forgetting the nightmare top window fitment! They took ages, AGES to refit back into the window holes, a couple aren't great...looking at them makes one feel you are on a wonky fair ground attraction! lol 
Arh! Yes, its upside down! lol I did have 2 spare window brackets but they were too small and really needed two per window. So I opted for one large one per window, and as it happened when I rechecked with the real shop, they too had one large bracket! YAY! ;o) 
 Now for adding the tiny roof above the sign......I couldn't have much of a slope!
The roof part added and some trim to embellish it. painted and distressed too. :o) I also drew on grid lines for my brick lines...so that they aligned and were fairly straight.
I decided to glue the door architrave on  before I started on the plaster work...with fine and tight areas it's far easier to have it in situ as you plaster etc.
I had to cut a little niche out of the main door architrave so I could accommodate the window ledge.
I only wanted patches of exposed brickwork, this can be tricky because if you want realistic and straight lines, you do want them straight and the grid lines help...especially when you have two separate segments. 
 With all the brickwork added, I then painted them! Still a way to go yet! 
Here I am starting to apply the plaster. I chose to draw around the bay windows for the basic shape because I didn't want these glued in yet, as you find out later(!) and the fact plaster is also messy work and I much harder to clean off ones painted pieces! 
 Some of the ageing and distress applied to the plaster and brickwork...

The round gap in the plaster (top half) is where my outside light will go. More on that in my next post!
I have added some damp patches, but not much. I may add more when the bay windows are glued in. 
I may need to add a few touch-ins with the plaster and there are a couple of areas higher up that I want to tweak too! 
Testing everything in situ! The bay windows have 2 shelves each (I made these originally and now I've tweaked them so they will refit the windows again).  I am still deciding whether to have these sloping towards the front (like the real shop) or flat! 
I've stripped all the old roof tiles off. I have added bricks to both sides of the roof and the chimney stack. I have also aged the chimney pots...I forgot to take a photo of them! Grrrr! lol I will be adding trim to the sides to finish off the edge. The tiles and lead flashing are on order for both roof's. 
 I needed to tidy and finish off the side of my little sloping roof! 
I have also cut and primed all the interior trims/architrave. These will be painted the aged with that I normally use...I'm doubtful I will have either the blue or plum inside! ;o/ 
I will be using the same trim as the exterior for the interior around the doors and their windows at least. Again, these will be an aged white that I use.
The door window frame that I made, which the acetate will be sandwiched in between the door and frame. It still needs to be distressed and I will make frames for the upper windows too, but without the thin outside frame as the wider and proper architrave will be used for that part.   

Supplies are on order to finish the exterior. I have also bought all the wallpapers and many for other projects too. I've been collecting furniture etc too! Once the exterior is completed, I will make a start on the terrace of shops. I will show an update on this before I start on the latter. ;o)) I will then start the process of popping back to started projects when I am waiting on major or big things to dry. ;o)   

We are having our current kitchen completely gutted and redone in a few weeks...yes,  the real home is still being done too! Can you believe it, that I moved to Norfolk a year ago today! My oh my, what a year! lol ;o))  


I hope you don’t mind my ramblings and madness! :o))

Michelle xxxx 

24 comments:

  1. Your work is absolutely amazing. I love this apothecary. It is so real, like from Dickens :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kamilla. ;o) It does look as though its come out of a Dickens story! lol It's still very much work in progress including further work on the plaster etc.

      Delete
  2. Great character in this building. All the hard work has paid off. It's important to get the right colour that you are looking for, otherwise it would just bug you until you fixed it, so worth doing right I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon. ;o)) The first blue was awful, it couldn't be more wrong if it tried! lol I think l kinda forgot about the one I bought specially for it! lol

      The remaining supplies arrived today..that means I can finish the exterior. ;o))

      Delete
  3. oooo its fab!! called in here to see if you were ok as I hadnt seen you on the dreaded FB for a while...I see all is well :D Linda xxxx (possibly a double post...havent done this in a while hahahaha )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you found me Linda ! lol Yes, all is fine, just busy etc. Nah, only one comment was there....you remember well! lol xxxx

      Delete
  4. Un trabajo impresionante!!! Te ha quedado un edificio tan real!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and so glad you think it looks realistic. It takes a while to get there but I am happy with this shop so far. ;o)) xx ;o)

      Delete
  5. Hi Michelle
    Lovely to see a post from you....I don't do FB. I am absolutely in awe with how you can get such an authentic and aged look to your buildings. They are marvellous and this one is no different. It's just wonderful and very atmospheric....I'm dying to see how you decorate the inside. :)
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivian,

      I don't do FB either, well not for a few months! ;o) Thank you so much for your kind words, I love doing the actual builds...the outsides moreso and I think it shows! lol Much of the Alley will have this look and the next 3 will soon be started on!

      I have all the wallpaper's for this shop (and many other projects too, as I have a rolling buying plan for supplies and mini's! lol) and most of the wood mouldings so I can pop back to continue work on it as I work on the other exteriors. ;o))

      I'll be back soon! ;o))

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a lot of work! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Isabelle and glad you like it. ;o)))

      Delete
  7. Hello Michelle,
    What a transformation from the last post. The building is looking beautiful. Well done on the large bay windows.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Giac!

      Yes, lots of changes! ;o)) It's taken a while as I knew it would...the windows took the longest but I am pleased with the results. The last of my supply needs for the outside arrived today...so at last I can continue and finish (I got ahead of myself, unexpectedly! lol).

      Big hugs! ;o))

      Delete
  8. You are doing a fantastic job making it look so old and Worn!!! I am always amazed at how much care you put into getting the details of "decay" to look so Perfect! I look forward to seeing more of this "magic"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betsy! ;o))) I just love old and mouldy! lol It's been a lot of fun to do the windows were the worst part but once I was past that bit all was fine. More furniture for it arrived a few days ago, although I don't plan on showing or completing the interior until I have most of my Diagon Alley outsides completed.

      Will show update on this before I move onto the terrace of shops. ;o)) Yep, more decay, old and mould to come! lol

      Delete
  9. Wow love your step by step house make over because I'm still learning with my first house.
    Thank you!
    groetjes van Marijke
    www.thuis-in-het-klein.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marijke,

      We all have to start somewhere and I'm still learning! It's a continuous learning curve and process. ;o)) Glad you like it all so far, The little roof above the sign has been tiled...onto the main one shortly! ;o)))

      Delete
  10. Michelle, how have I missed this post? Loving Mr Mulpeppers Apothecary. Look forward to seeing it finished and filled with all your fabulous miniatures. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easily done Debbie! LOL It's not like I'm on blogger much. ;o) Glad you like it..it was fun to do!

      I've been collecting for a few months for this project as some were kinda different and erm hard to source! Of course I have other stuff that I've collected a while back too. I love this shop and I'm really pleased how it's turned out. I just need to buy the lights and fit them then I can finish the inside properly. xxx

      Delete
  11. preciosa fachada, muy bien lograda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your kind words Jorge. It has changed a little since this photo, but for the better I hope. ;o)

      Delete
  12. Maravillosa fachada, es una preciosidad.
    FELIZ NAVIDAD
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maite! I hope you had a great Christmas! Happy New Year! :o))

      Delete