Tuesday 22 July 2014

Prepping, priming and planning!

It's been a while huh, but a little update for now! Did you think I took a trip to the moon or an exotic holiday somewhere?! Hmmmm......I could have done, I've also been busy working on many projects and buying supplies etc! :o)) 

I've been stripping back all the part started kits, insides and outsides as well as all the component parts. Two I bought like it, one I wanted to completely re-do and one was brand new. Although it may not look like it, but it's taken hours of work and hard work to to get this far! Heat gun, hot soapy water to remove wallpaper, wires and lighting removed and sanding both hand and electric sanding and then lots and lots of priming! All my part started kits are on a level playing field, it means I can go from one to the other with ease. I have a total of 8 projects/shops that I can work on now. I have decided to leave the more complicated shops till last...namely Ollivanders and Weasley Wizard Wheezes (which is part started).
This is Dogweed and Deathcap shop that I've applied the stone work to. I was going to change the colour, but this is natural sandstone dust and all it needs is some more distressing and also ageing and dirtying, so I may not paint it. 
 I applied another coat to the steps...still very much work in progress!

I've prepped all the terrace shops, both inside and out....plus most of the add on pieces. I've also sorted out all the shops detailing and components to their rightful shops. I have changed a couple of the doors..so I have 3 different doors to the shops. 
The middle shop has a lovely deep bay window which I will add Georgian bars to. 
I've made some changes to Leaky Cauldron pub. in the films all  you see is a black Georgian door (set on a corner), but the inside is Tudor. So, I've changed the outside to emulate a Georgian look, but the inside is clearly Tudor. This was part of my original Hogwarts which was part of a Tudor Coach House kit, so it already has the low ceilings! lol 
This was my Victorian Shop which was my first ever project. It was mostly done by my parents, but I did do some of it. This has taken hours of prep work, I have no idea what glue was used, but suffice to say I'm pretty sure some parts doubled as giant glue sticks! If it wasn't glued within an inch of its life, then it was pinned! lol I still have to sand down the floors and completely redo the roof...suffice to say it has a long way to go....  

It is to become Mr Mulpepper's apothecary.
It was impossible to rip out the staircase without breaking it, so it's been a case of working around it! I've removed the homemade doors (the shop didn't come with any) and the doorways aren't quite today's 1/12th scale size, so I will add all false doors and thus cover up the original doorways. I've also been distressing the hall way as you see here. The staircase still needs a lot more work  yet.
 Still lots to do...the outside(s) first though!
I've changed and embellished the bay windows to the shop too, these now emulate the real shop ones. If you look at my page called Mr Mulpepper's Apothecary you will see how it once looked (before I stripped it back!).
Still very much work in progress! The Georgian bars are not glued in, the actual bays needs painting plum too! The doors need lots of work, not to mention dirtying! lol The top of the shop (lintel?) has been dirtied over the white primer...I'm hoping when it's painted the dirty white will show through when I distress it...an experiment!
This old Honeychurch shop didn't have much refinement, so I'm reapplying the inner window frames. This still needs to be worked on and painted plum, the acetate will be sandwiched in-between.  
 I hope to add a more fancy architrave around the doors too...
Most of the shops in Diagon Alley have other businesses above the downstairs shops. This shop has upper blue windows...so mine will too. I have around 5 different businesses to be added to various shops along my Alley. You will have to wait and see what they are though! ;o)
I have bought most of my paints for my shops...I still have a few more to buy. Chalk paints are so much easier to distress than acrylic paints, they also come in a wonderful range of colours that are more pertinent to the eras I am working on. I have also bought wallpapers, and interior fittings as well as carts on wheels (I had these made) for my alley.
Some hanging shops signs that I have....I have 3 of these and I hope to have other designs too. 

I have a new project (I have the kit) that I hope to have built before Christmas...if only to see what supplies I need to buy. It's a Gothic style with a very opulent interior, you'll have to wait and see what theme it will take, and no it's not witchy or wizard related! lol

Nearly 3 weeks ago I very badly injured my foot and ankle. I really have no idea how long it will take to heal and I'm not able to spend more than 3 hours being up and about, so work (when I'm not working, my job that pays the bills lol!) will be slower! I will be back when I have progressed more! 

I hope you don’t mind my ramblings and madness! :o))

Michelle xxxx